23 september 2012

Making dry plate glass negatives with a LF camera


I followed a course in making dry plate negatives (on glass plates) yesterday given by Dutch photographer Norman Post. It's a very nice and old technique.
I made these 2 portraits with this technique:


- Iso = 1 (yes: only one!)
- Exposure time = 1 second
- Apperture = f /4.5
- location = outdoors in the shade.

I used an old Russian large format camera: FKD 13x18 (almost 5x7") with an Industar 215 mm lens and an Industar 300 mm lens.


I'm gonna use this technique with my own FKD 18x24 cm LF camera (almost 8x10") and with my self build wooden pinhole cameras. These glass plate negatives are perfect for contact printing (like cyanotype or gum printing).

See flick.com for my images.

See some of the portraits made by Norman Post (scanned from dry plate negatives).

(photo made by Norman Post)

Check the Pinhole Photography & Cameras Group on LinkedIn for more info on pinhole cameras.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten